When you’re stuck at home and can’t visit your favorite craft store, there are still tons of fun crafts using things around the house that you can make!
Don’t you love it when someone shows you a recipe or a craft “using things around the house” or “ingredients in your pantry” and there are supplies or ingredients that NO ONE actually has in the house?
A can of beans? Sure! Oregano? ok! But, don’t give me a pantry recipe and include saffron or dried figs or something. No, I don’t generally have those in my pantry.
The same goes for crafts. It’s so frustrating when you want to make a craft and it requires a cutting machine (and you don’t have one) or something random like copper pipe fittings. Sure, in normal times you can run out and get those things, but at the moment (or other times for other reasons) we all need to craft with what we have at home.
So I tried really hard today to find crafts that REALLY are using things around the house. These crafts include supplies like paper, coffee filters, cardboard, plastic spoons, soda bottles, wrapping paper, an old shower curtain, a sweater with holes, and egg cartons to make some spectacular craft projects that don’t look they were made from stuff you found lying around.
I mean, seriously, you are not going to believe how good some of these projects are!
Of course, you’ll probably still need some basic crafting tools (here is my list of the basic craft essentials) but if you’re reading this article then you probably already at least have things like scissors and glue or maybe even a hot glue gun and you should be fine!
Why should I make crafts using things around the house?
- Crafting is therapeutic and makes you feel good.
- If you use things around the house to make craft projects, you can start RIGHT AWAY! Instant gratification is the best.
- You might not be able to get to the craft store or order new supplies online and wait for shipping.
- You might already have a stash of craft supplies to use before you make anything new.
- It’s good for the Earth to recycle, upcycle and reuse things.
- It’s fun to be resourceful, it makes you feel like McGyver!
- Using regular things in new ways helps stretch your brain and can lead to increased creativity in other areas of your life as well as you learn to think outside of the box!
So, let’s get to it and check out these fun and super creative crafts using things around the house!
If you liked liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…