This adorable, warm & toasty Valentine Cozy Cowl knitting pattern is the perfect Valentine’s Day knit for your little sweetheart!
I mean…if you’ve seen a cuter knitting pattern on my site, I dare you to let me know. Because I honestly don’t think it gets cuter than this Valentine cozy cowl.
Someone asked me the other day, what I was going to do when Baby V wasn’t a “baby” anymore and I couldn’t knit baby hats for her.
The answer is…patterns like this!
I sketched up this cute kids’ cowl knitting pattern with a pretty heart pattern on it and it turned out EXACTLY like my sketch which is usually how I know if I’ve got a good pattern.
I really hope you guys like it as much as I do…
This pattern is knit in the round and is a great one to practice fair isle colorwork on because it’s only a few rounds and it’s a super easy pattern.
I also love the folded over ribbed neck. It’s warm and cozy and soft but not so bulky that it’s uncomfortable to wear under a coat. In fact, we now actually prefer this to a scarf for playing in the snow because it doesn’t dangle and get all covered in snow!
Tips & Tricks for knitting a Valentine Cozy Cowl
- Be sure to catch any longer floats on the inside of your cowl.
- Make sure the two colors of yarn that you choose have enough contrast so the heart pattern really shows up.
- Cast off LOOSELY. The neck of the cowl needs to be able to stretch over your little one’s head when they put it on. If your cast off is too tight, it will be hard for them to put on.
Valentine Cozy Cowl Sizing
I tried my best to find standard measurements for a shoulder cowl like this for children, but…there aren’t any. So I measured some kids myself and worked up the sizing that way.
This pattern includes instructions to knit the cowl in three sizes: Preschool, Child Small and Child Large. Please take a look at the chart below to pick a size! If your child is between sizes, size up.
(I do not recommend scarves or cowls for children under age 3 for safety reasons. Please use common sense in deciding if your child is old enough to wear a scarf/cowl. )
Valentine Cozy Cowl Knitting Pattern
(includes Sizes Preschool (Child Small, Child Large)
Gauge: 20 stitches = 4 inches
- Worsted weight yarn in two colors (the smallest size cowl uses approximately 140 yards of the main yarn)
- US 7 24″ circular knitting needles
- US 7 16″ circular knitting needles
- Yarn needle
(If you need help, my favorite knitting reference book for everyone from beginners to advanced knitters is THIS ONE!)
This cute pattern is available for sale only. When you purchase this pattern, you’ll get an instant download PDF pattern in a few nicely formatted easy-to-print pages that includes written instructions and step by step photos. This pattern is available in my Etsy shop or on Ravelry where it will also be permanently stored in your Ravelry pattern library.
If you liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…
- The Complete Guide to Comparing Easy Knitting Cast On Methods - July 7, 2022
- Fun Crafts That Don’t Require A Lot of Supplies - June 30, 2022
- Sweet Cherry Hat Knitting Pattern - June 28, 2022