These easy Santa hat photo ornaments make the best Christmas gift and look adorable on your Christmas tree!
When I just had one kid and he was a baby, I honestly had no idea how good I had it. There were multiple naps per day. You could pretty much set him in one place and he would stay there… I mean, obviously a baby isn’t a piece of cake all the time, but I also definitely had more free time then than I do now.
So it wasn’t a big deal to spend a bit more time on our yearly handmade ornaments. I treasure my clay handprint ornaments now but I also do not know how I had time for that! We give them to Grandparents and Aunts & Uncles every year as well as one set for ourselves and it’s really fun to see their little faces or handprints get older on the tree.
BUT, as time goes on, I need these handmade ornaments to be easier and easier while still being creative and adorable. I mean, I literally craft for a living so I think people reasonably have high expectations of me.
Last year I made my cute little kiddos into reindeer and those ornaments were a HUGE hit. So this year I thought I’d put my little ones in Santa hats and guess what…they were a hit again!
The good thing about this project (besides that it’s kind of ridiculously easy) is that you can use regular photos. If you do a family photo shoot, you don’t have to remember to pack Christmas props just for that one ornament shot. Or you can use that one cute pic you took with your phone. Whatever you want!
I also have to say, I ordered these little magnetic photo frame ornaments on a whim, on the internet because it was 2020 and I couldn’t go to the store. I had low expectations as I often do when I order things like this sight unseen. But friends, they are winners!
So let’s make some easy Santa hat photo ornaments!
Easy Santa Hat Photo Ornaments Supply List
- Photo ornaments
- Appropriately sized & printed photo of your kids (bonus points if your photos are taken by Joey!)
- Small detail paintbrush
- Red acrylic craft paint
- White acrylic craft paint
- Grosgrain ribbon
Easy Santa Hat Photo Ornaments Instructions
- Measure the opening in your photo ornament and then size and print your photos. I sized mine with Photoshop and had them printed at Walgreens. Photo paper works best for this project. Then cut the photos with enough border to fit behind the frame opening.
- Use your tiny detail paintbrush and first paint the red hats on top of you kids’ heads. You can paint directly on the printed photo.
- When the red paint is completely dry, add the brim or pom pom in white to the hats with a brush.
- When the paint is completely dry, pop your photos into the photo frame ornaments, add a ribbon loop, and give as gifts!
If you liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…