This bright and fun rainbow wall hanging is made from painted wooden beads and yarn pom poms, it’s the perfect pop of joyful color!
For some reason whenever I think about St. Patrick’s Day crafts, I always feel like they have to be green and involve Shamrocks. And, friends, green is just not my favorite color.
I don’t hate green or anything, it just doesn’t inspire me very much. So then every year, I begrudgingly make a Shamrock craft and it’s fine but it doesn’t “spark joy” for me very much. I mean, really, begrudging crafts never go that well. I should just learn this lesson once and for all!
So, this year when I was thinking about easy St. Patrick’s day craft projects, I realized, the rainbow is just as much a St. Patrick’s day icon as the Shamrock and it’s totally underappreciated. And I looooove rainbows.
I’m also, totally unrelated to this, on a mission to craft using stuff I already have, instead of buying new craft materials. So I took a look in my office closet, grabbed some wooden beads, and wire and yarn and set out to make this super easy and SUPER cute DIY rainbow wall hanging.
I am so happy with how it turned out, it was really really easy to make and it looks adorable hanging on the wall in our kitchen, it makes me smile every time I walk past it!
I’m also pretty sure this rainbow wall hanging is going immediately up on the wall in Baby V’s room as soon as St. Patrick’s Day is over, she loves it just as much as I do and she’s going through a major unicorn phase right now so rainbows are perfect for her as well!
Here’s how to make your own DIY Rainbow Wall Hanging…
- First off, to make painting your wooden beads easier, cut 3 inch long pieces of spare pipe cleaner and poke them into the side of an old cardboard box. Then put one or two beads on each piece of pipe cleaner.
- Paint the wooden beads in rainbow colors with acrylic craft paint
- Some colors may require 2-3 coats of paint to cover. Allow to dry
- Then use a pom pom maker to make 2 small pom poms from white worsted weight yarn. My pom poms are about 2 inches in diameter.
- You will also need some 16 gauge wire, wire cutter, and a needle nose pliers
- Cut a length of wire longer than your rainbow wall hanging, poke one pom pom through the end of the wire so it's sticking out about an inch.
- Then, use your needle nose pliers to fold the end of the wire back on itself as shows both to hold the pom pom and so no one gets poked with a sharp wire end.
- Then string the rest of the beads on the wire in rainbow order.
- Put the second white pom pom on the end.
- Trim the wire and use needle nose pliers to fold the wire end back again, hiding it in the pom pom. You may also want to add a small loop of wire to the top of your rainbow wall hanging to hang it from a nail, hook, or picture hanger on the wall
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
3/4"Wooden Round Beads 100pcs Unfinished Natural Loose Beads Spacer Beading Supplies Jewelry Findings Charms
4 Sizes Pompom Pom-pom Maker for Fluff Ball Weaver Needle Craft DIY Wool Knitting Craft Tool Set Decoration by Knewmart
Apple Barrel PROMOABI, Assorted Colors 1 (18 pack)
Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo Yarn, White
IRWIN VISE-GRIP Long Nose Pliers, 6-Inch (2078216)
BOENFU Wire Cutter - Precision Side Cutter 6 Inch Cutting Pliers
OOK 50143 16 Gauge - 200 ft Galvanized Steel Wire, 1 Pack
Paint Brush Set by heartybay, 20 pcs Nylon Hair Brushes for Acrylic Oil Watercolor Painting Artist Professional Painting Kits
Acerich 300 Pcs Pipe Cleaners Assorted Colors Chenille Stems for Valentine Day DIY Art Craft Decorations (6 mm x 12 inch)
If you liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…
- UK vs. US Knitting Terms, Yarn Weights and Needle Sizes - July 26, 2021
- Citrus Hats Knitting Pattern - July 26, 2021
- Cardboard DIY Doll Crib - July 13, 2021