Trying to figure out what size knitting needles to use for your next knitting project? Take this interactive quiz and get our personalized recommendation!
Hey friends, so today we’re talking about how to know what size knitting needles you should use for your next knitting project. This can be a really hard question, I totally understand!
And to make matters more complicated, sometimes you THINK you have the right needles and your project still doesn’t turn out quite right. So I put together this little interactive quiz to help you decide.
Please keep in mind, this is truly a quiz intended for fun and of course, since we are not in the same room, I can’t 100% guarantee that you’ll end up with the right size.
Before we get to the quiz, let’s talk about how to make sure your recommendation is as good as possible!
Tips and Tricks for choosing the right knitting needles
- Choose a knitting pattern or project first. It’s much easier to start with a specific pattern than to start with a type of yarn.
- Read the entire pattern first and see if the designer has a recommendation for yarn and needle sizes.
- If the designer tells you which yarn weight to use, use it. It’s not worth the stress, math and uncertainty to try and change yarn weights.
- SWATCH!! Seriously, I know it’s boring. But it’s worth it to make sure your project turns out to be the right size. Swatching is the ONLY WAY to be sure you are using the right size knitting needles for your project. When you knit a swatch you can measure how many stitches per inch you knit and make sure that your sample matches up with the gauge that the designer specifies in the pattern.
- You can always ask for advice at your local yarn store!
- If you don’t have a pattern and are just knitting something simple like a scarf for fun, gauge won’t be as important and you can take the quiz and get a recommended needle size for a particular yarn weight.
What did you think of my tips and tricks, do you think you know what size knitting needles you should use yet? If you still need help, let’s take the quiz and get a knitting needle size recommendation!
Remember, this quiz is just for fun, knitting a swatch is the only way to know you’ve chosen the right knitting needles for sure!
If you liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…
- UK vs. US Knitting Terms, Yarn Weights and Needle Sizes - July 26, 2021
- Citrus Hats Knitting Pattern - July 26, 2021
- Cardboard DIY Doll Crib - July 13, 2021