This fun peppermint twist hat knitting pattern has bold red and white stripes swirling up to a cute speckled pom pom on top, just like a peppermint candy!
I had a vision with the Rainbow Swirl hat and even though it had approximately a million ends to weave in, that hat turned out SO cute. But I also fell in love with the method for knitting that kind of hat.
The Peppermint Twist hat is really fun because you knit this kind of hat flat and to be honest, while you’re working, it looks pretty ugly. I’m not going to lie. Like, you might wonder if you’re doing something wrong because it kind of curls up.
Nope, that’s right, this hat is SUPER stretchy. And the edges all get hidden in the end. It’s kind of magical how much better it looks from when you cast off the main knitting to when you actually finish the hat.
I love a project like that. It kind of sums up the creative process for a lot of us, right? We start out thinking something’s awesome, and then in the middle there’s serious self-doubt. But then when you’re all finished that amazing feeling of accomplishment comes back and makes it all worth it.
Tips & Tricks for Knitting a Peppermint Twist Hat
- If you’re having trouble sewing up the seam neatly, try pinning the two ends together.
- When you gather the top of the hat, pull the running stitch as tightly as you possibly can. You will hide this are with the pom pom but you want it to look as neat as possible.
- When picking up stitches for the brim, be careful and make them VERY neat and even. Uneven picked up stitches are the number one mistake people make with this kind of hat and they really show.
Peppermint Twist Hat Knitting Pattern
(includes Sizes 0-3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 2T+)
Gauge: 20 stitches & 24 rows = 4 inches
- Worsted weight yarn
- US 7 16″ circular knitting needles
- US 7 13″ straight knitting needles
- Yarn needle
- Pom pom maker
(If you need help, my favorite knitting reference book for everyone from beginners to advanced knitters is THIS ONE!)
This cute pattern is available for sale only. When you purchase this pattern, you’ll get an instant download PDF pattern in a few nicely formatted easy-to-print pages that includes written instructions and step by step photos. This pattern is available in my Etsy shop or on Ravelry where it will also be permanently stored in your Ravelry pattern library.
If you liked liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…
- Free Printable Easter Egg Coupons - April 1, 2020
- Little Lamb Bonnet Knitting Pattern - March 31, 2020
- 50 Crafty and Creative FaceTime Activities To Do with Kids - March 19, 2020