Friends, I am one of those people with way too many apps on my phone. And also I never remember to close them. For a type A personality it makes no sense.
But until recently, I was woefully unaware of the huge variety of creative apps out there. I guess I just assumed there were only shopping apps.
I was so wrong. You can do some COOL stuff with your phone these days (omg, that makes me sound so old! I’m not, I swear!)
My eyes were first opened when I started looking at craft & DIY apps. There are so many cool options. And it’s not just inspiration, you can design actual things on your device! (I’m having a very difficult time not using all the exclamation points ever in the post…)
AND THEN, I realized there are crochet & knitting apps and well, there went several hours of my life. I am super excited to share all this goodness with you. There are apps for designing, apps for calculations, apps for inspiration, apps to read patterns on and make notes, apps that keep track of your needle or yarn stash, you can even read full on crochet and knitting magazines on your phone!
I have been missing out!
And as always, in the spirit of honesty, none of these links are affiliate links, I do not earn anything if you click/download these apps, I just think they’re cool. But, on the flip side, if you aren’t a fan, or it doesn’t work, don’t blame me either, lol!
I have done my best to put a $ before an app that costs money or requires a subscription and have tried to note if it’s only available for iOS or Android (and vice versa). Here we go!
Awesome Crochet & Knitting Apps for iOS and Android
- $ Stash2Go – Keep track of your yarn stash, it even syncs with your Ravelry account!
- $ StashBot – This app calculates how much yarn you need for a project based on type of project and gauge. You guys, I am downloading this IMMEDIATELY.
- LoveKnitting – you can buy most of my patterns here among TONS of other designers, access them via the app, you can access your Ravelry library, you can get yarn and supplies and you can use tons of free tools including row counters all in one app.
- Knitting Genius – while it does have some free patterns, this app has video tutorials for all the most common knitting techniques (if for some reason you aren’t able to visit my site, ha!)
- Knitting Chart – design your own charts!
- Knit Counter app – this is a no frills, easy-to-use way to count stitches, rows and repeats in your knitting project, this is the one I use!
- BeeCount app – Android only – keep track of progress on multiple projects at the same time!
- $ Knit Texxture – an exhaustive knit stitch library with TONS of patterns!
- Gaugefy – the name says it all, all things GAUGE
- AllFreeKnitting – Android only, tons of free patterns!
- $ Blankie – plan the layout of your granny square (or knit square) blanket project with this fun app!
iPhone and Android Apps that Work with Ravelry
Ravelry does finally have a mobile site, but there is no actual Ravelry app. Here are some great apps that interface with Ravelry so you can do things like search for patterns, see the patterns in your Ravelry library, update your Ravelry projects on the go, and even read and send messages and post to the Ravelry forums!
- $ Ravit – iphone only
- Alpaca – Ravelry on the go
- Close Knit – see your Ravelry friends’ favorites and activity
- $ Wooly – access your Ravelry notebook, (iphone only)
- Knitci – “Ravelry at your fingertips” (Android only)
- $ Knitamus – A knitting project manager to keep track of your place in pdf patterns, even works on an apple watch! (iOS only)
- $ Pattrick – Search for patterns on Ravelry with this handy app
- Yarrn – app for accessing and updating your Ravelry projects with a delightful Pirate pun logo (Android only)
Knit and Crochet Magazine Apps
Read these awesome fiber magazines on your mobile device. Most do require a paid subscription (and those will often renew automatically so pay attention!) but they’re packed full of inspiration and patterns. Try out one of these and you might find an eco-friendly and easy way to read your favorite publication on your mobile device!
- $ LoveKnitting for Baby Magazine – read the magazine on your device! I’m featured in this great magazine often!
- $ Vogue Knitting Magazine app – the knitting bible!
- $ Knit Simple Magazine
- $ The Knitter Magazine
- $ Knit Now Magazine
- $ Let’s Get Crafting: Knitting & Crochet Magazine
- $ Crochet Now Magazine
- $ Crochet! Magazine
- $ Simply Crochet Magazine
- $ Love Crochet Magazine
- $ Quick & Easy Crochet Magazine
Do you have a favorite crochet or knitting app that I didn’t mention? Let me know!
If you liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…
- UK vs. US Knitting Terms, Yarn Weights and Needle Sizes - July 26, 2021
- Citrus Hats Knitting Pattern - July 26, 2021
- Cardboard DIY Doll Crib - July 13, 2021