Makeover a dollar bin unicorn wall plaque into something custom and cute!
Baby V’s nursery is really a pretty small room but yet somehow I still have two small walls with nothing on them. So when I saw this cute unicorn head shaped wall plaque in the dollar section at Target (whatever they’re calling that area these days) I grabbed it right away. It was actually pretty cute out of the box, just not quite the colors I wanted it to be so I decided to give it a little makeover. After a slightly rocky start, it now totally coordinates with Baby V’s room. (she definitely cares, right?) Here’s how I did it:
Cute Unicorn Wall Plaque Makeover
Unicorn head wall plaque (I can’t find the same one I got anywhere online, but you could use this 3D one and it would be really cute too!)
Cotton quilting fabric
Craft paint in “cloud” and “wedding cake”
So here’s the unicorn head wall plaque I found: Totally fine, just a little bright. So I figured I’d paint it and it would be an easy fix. WRONG.
I think this hot pink paint would survive a nuclear apocalypse. I put on two coats of acrylic paint and it looked like it was covering while it was wet and then once it dried it just looked like a very thin whitewash. And the second coat didn’t look any better at all than the first. So onto plan B, I took this sucker outside and started spraying it with spray primer.
You guys, it took like FIVE coats. I’m not even kidding. I almost gave up hope halfway through. (I’m still half expecting the pink to start bleeding through even two weeks later!) When it was finally white, I painted it with two coats of a light robin’s egg blue paint. I left the horn white. Then over some folded scrap paper to catch the excess, I painted the horn with a coat of matte mod podge and covered it with glitter. I always do glitter right next to the kitchen sink, it makes cleanup waaaay easier! To update the plaque behind the unicorn head. I used a little bit of white acrylic paint to cover the polka dots (you could see them through the fabric). Then I covered the front face in a coat of matte mod podge (working quickly) and then laid it face down onto a piece of fabric. Then I flipped it over and made sure it was taut and there were no wrinkles or bubbles. When it was dry I took my craft knife with a brand new super sharp blade and trimmed around the edges.
To assemble the wall plaque, you just had to screw in two screws in the back and that was it! It looks super super cute in Baby V’s nursery!
If you liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…
- What To Do with a Total Craft Fail and How To Redeem Yourself - June 1, 2023
- Pom Pom Bow Hat Knitting Pattern - June 1, 2023
- It’s Easy! How To Turn Acrylic Paint Into Fabric Paint - May 23, 2023
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter!
Find out about our newest knitting patterns, crafts, DIYs and inspiration by signing up to receive our weekly newsletter here at Little Red Window!
Leave a Reply