Make these pretty and colorful hanging picture frames with just a few supplies from the craft store!
Well, if you’ve visited Little Red Window before, chances are good you’ve noticed I have an obsession with the unpainted wood section of the craft store. It’s definitely my favorite part and my heart goes pitter patter when I round the corner and see they have something new. I was excited to see these pretty floral frames on my last trip and I grabbed three with a vague plan to do something with them.
I’m a little bit of a type A personality (I think my family would say “little bit” is an undertstatement, ahem) so my normal tendency when given something intricate like this pretty floral frame, would be to get out my tiny paintbrushes and paint each flower accurately. But in work and life I’m trying to loosen up a little bit so I decided, you know what? These frames are only 99 cents each, I’m going to TRY something more fun and relaxed and just see what happens. And I think you’ll agree, they turned out awesome. So, note to self, step out of your comfort zone more often! Here’s how I put them together…
DIY Floral Hanging Picture Frame
1. First I gathered the colors of paint I wanted to use. I went for some bright spring/summer colors. Feel free to pretend that that bin in the background is my entire paint collection. Yeah, that’s it… I’m totally not a paint hoarder…2. Starting with one color at a time, I painted the frame in random splotches of color. I only painted the front face of the wood, not the dark laser cut edges because I think that looks neater. 3. I continued adding colors randomly until the entire frame was filled and looked balanced. Then I chose my photos, laid the frame on top and marked where I needed to cut. Because this frame is such a weird shape it took a little trial and error to find a shape that left enough to glue to the back but didn’t show through the negative space too much. (By the way, if you live in/near Minneapolis, hire my real life friends Cadence & Eli if you need photographers, they are awesome and they took the pics in this post!)
4. Glue the photos to the back of the frame with a few small dots of craft glue. 5. To connect the frames, I grabbed some 18 gauge copper wire and used a pair or needle nosed pliers (not pictured) to bend them it into this shape (about an inch long).6. Then I connected the bottom of one frame to the top of another. Since this wire is quite stiff and this isn’t an item that will get touched much, I just bent the loop closed and left it like it is, but if you want yours stronger, you could wind the wire closed at the corner. 7. To make the top loop for hanging, first I made a small loop at the end of a long length of wire like this: 8. Then I bent the bottom into the same rectangular shape I used to connect the other frames. And that’s it! Hang your cute, colorful frames on the wall and enjoy!
If you liked this, you may also like some of my other posts…
- The 5 Different Types of Pens & Markers You NEED in Your Craft Room - September 27, 2023
- Peekaboo Black Cat Hat Knitting Pattern - September 26, 2023
- Use Leftover Vinyl Scraps for These Creative Craft Project Ideas - September 21, 2023